I am going to show you step by step on how to start your own blog. This will be the easiest tutorial you have read. Its very easy to follow along and I added images to help guide you.
I know it can be frustrating and stressful to start a new blog. I have been there. I remember when I created my first blog and I had no idea how to make one. I was scared and looked for answers everywhere. But I finally created my site and I have created over 10+ blogs since!
I will take the hard parts from you and make it simple for you to start your very own blog. So sit back and relax. Grab yourself a coffee and give yourself 15 minutes to do this. The whole process is very simple.
I will guide you step by step! No steps skipped.
Learn how to start a wordpress blog
I am here to teach you how to make your own blog. And I made it very simple & easy for you!
In this article, I will walk you step by step through the whole process and at the end I will share tips on how you can promote your blog for free.
If you are very serious on setting up your own blog and not a blogspot or tumblr one, please read on.
Don’t worry, it’s not hard at all to set up a blog. You can actually build your own blog in about 15 minutes
3 Simple Steps + 3 Blog Tips
- Step #1: Register a domain name + web host (takes 5 mins)
- Step #2: Install WordPress (takes 5 mins)
- Step #3: Install a theme (takes 5 mins)
- Tip #1: Creating your first blog post
- Tip #2: How to promote your Blog
- Tip #3: How to make money with your Blog
Step #1: Pick a domain name & Hosting
You can pick out a domain name that is short or long. But I prefer 2-3 words in mine. My domain name is LearnWithKatie.com And I like domain names that have .com in them. They are more professional. And you will need to pick a good web host to keep your blog up and running.
Your web hosting account (BlueHost) will give you space to store your website files (theme, blogging software, images, etc.) and to make your blog available to look at and use via the internet.
Here’s how you can sign up with Bluehost:
- Go to Bluehost.com (click here for a discount + a free domain name) and choose your favorite plan. I suggest you start with the starter plan first. When your blog grows and gets a ton of traffic you can upgrade later on! Right now the starter plan is perfect for you!
- Enter the domain name you would like to have, then click on the “Next” button. If you have a domain name already that you bought somewhere else then you can add your domain name in the second box to the right (transfer domain).
- Fill all the information in the form and choose a package. I recommend to get the Domain Whois Privacy for $9.95 per year so you don’t have to share all your personal and private information to strangers.
- Now move to the next step below: installing WordPress (see step #2).
Step #2: Install WordPress
WordPress is a great blogging platform that you will be using – its a content management system. It makes it possible to create new blog posts, add themes, add plugins, add images and so much more!
How to Set up WordPress :
- Get your username and password, login to your Bluehost cPanel account. (Login link is located on top of BlueHost homepage).
- Click where it says “Hosting” then scroll down the page until you see “WordPress” logo and click on that.
- Now click on the “Install” button.
- Choose your domain name from the drop down menu then click “Check Domain” button.
- Click on “I have read the terms and conditions” after your read them and then click “Install Now” button.
- Now wait while WordPress is being Installed. This takes 5 minutes. After its done click “View Processes link then click on the “View Credentials” link, which are located at the very top of the page.
- Yay your done! Your blog is officially set up. That was easy right?! 🙂
- To access your WordPress admin area, click the “Admin URL” provided by BlueHost. It looks like this: yourdomain.com/wp-admin
- Now enter your username and password then click login.
- Now you will see your WordPress dashboard! Move around the dashboard. Click on different things to familiarize yourself with it.
Step #3: Install a WordPress Theme
You can use a free wordpress theme (look below) or buy one 🙂 If you decide to install your own theme that you bought (click on appearance, themes, add new, upload theme, click browse, find your zip file and then click on install now. Then activate it when its done).
Here is how you find and get a wordpress theme:
- To use a free wordpress theme: Login to to wordpress admin, then go to Appearance > Themes > Add New and start your search. After you find one, click install, then click on activate.
- To buy a premium wordpress theme you can find them here: My favorite is StudioPress and you will need the Genesis Frame Work to go with it. I also like wordpress themes made by Restored316.
- For women: Browse Women Themes Here
You have created your own blog! Congrats. That was not so hard, right? Go to the next step or explore your blog some more.
Tip #1: Start Blogging away!
Congrats! You set up your first blog.
If your blog is for professional business purposes then the tips below might be very important to you.
Your blog is set up, now what should I do? You should create helpful blog posts. You should just not write about everything and anything. Make sure to choose and focus on one niche. And add valuable blog posts that can be useful and helpful to your audience.
Did you ever hear the phrase content is king? Well it is. You need to create valuable blog posts and here are some great tips:
- Develop your own voice. Write as if your talking to your best friend. As if your writing a letter to them. Make it personal.
- Make sure you are provide value to your audience. Share your own experience and stories with your readers.
- Use a catchy headline (title) that will make people curious and want to read your article.
- Use a couple images and even add some relevant videos. Use bullet points, spaces, bold, colors & different heading sizes.
- Create and Add a call to action message at the very bottom of your article. Give something away, share a link, etc.
Make sure to implement these easy but powerful steps and you will produce amazing helpful blog posts all the time. And you will gain a huge loyal following and many readers through it all.
Do you still need help? Here is more information about this topic if you need it:
Tip #2: Get Traffic To Your Blog
Since you have amazing content to share now. The thing that is missing is your audience. You need people reading your stuff. If you want people to visit your blog, then here are some tips to help you get traffic:
How to promote your new blog
- Add social sharing buttons to your posts. This way people can share your images and posts you write.
- Create social pages. Create a Facebook page, Twitter account, Google+ and Pinterest profile.
- Write for other blogs (guest posts) that are related to your blog’s niche. Get backlinks and free traffic.
- Leave comments on similar blogs! Add valuable comments that can help people out.
- Learn how to do SEO. Optimize your blog posts with SEO Yoast, use keywords and write long articles (2k+words)
- Add a subscriber newsletter form to your blog. Build up your email list. Offer something for free!
Tip #3: Make money with your Blog
There are so many different ways you can make money with your blog. But I will list my 3 favorites for you.
- Create your own products (pdfs) + (videos) and use SendOwl to sell your digital products
- Sign up to affiliate program and share their links on your blog posts. Use my resource page
- Add Google Adsense to your blog and when people click on the ads you earn money
Did you find this post helpful? If so, would you consider sharing it with others who might appreciate it as well? Simply use the sharing buttons below. Thank you!